Duke Children's Evaluation Center (DCEC) is dedicated to offering a welcoming, family-centered patient care environment. Our staff is committed to providing expert, compassionate care to each of our pediatric patients, as well as responding to the concerns of parents and family members.
Our focus at the DCEC is ensuring that youth access timely and appropriate care for emerging and critical mental health needs. DCEC provides evaluation and short-term treatment for infants, children, and young adults (ages 0-25). The clinic also ensures continuity of care by connecting patients with providers who can meet their long-term mental health needs.
Whether you or your child are coming to the DCEC for an assessment, a follow-up visit, or crisis appointment, we want to make sure you have all the information you need to help make being here as convenient and pleasant as possible.
Making an Appointment
To make an appointment, please call the DCEC at 919-DUK-DCEC (919-385-3232). If you will need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please call us 24 hours prior to your appointment time. DCEC hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm.
If you are in need of immediate support, call 911.
Preparing for Your Visit
Length of Visit
Please allow ample time for your appointment – typically, one to two hours. Our team of providers will spend as much time as needed to ensure that patients receive the appropriate level of care.
Please bring your health insurance information with you. At the time of your visit, you will be asked to pay all copayments, coinsurance and deductibles, as well as any fees not covered by your insurance. We will file insurance claims on your behalf.
Directions and Parking
Duke Children’s Evaluation Center is located in at 2608 Erwin Road, Suite 300, in the Pavilion East at Lakeview building.
Free parking is available for patients. The parking deck is behind the Pavilion East building. Follow the signs in the parking deck to the top level. After parking, enter through the main lobby entrance at the top level of the parking deck. Take the elevator to the third floor. Elevators will open into the DCEC check-in area.
Checklist for Your Visit
The following list will help you remember items and information to bring with you to your appointment:
- Location of appointment and telephone contact number
- Name and telephone number of your referring physician
- Referrals or authorizations from the patient’s primary care doctor's office
- Insurance card(s)
- The patient’s Social Security number (for insurance)
- Co-payment for your insurance, if applicable
- Medical records (consultation, operative, radiology reports)
- A list of all medications the patient is currently taking (including supplements and over-the-counter medications)
- Radiological films (CT, MRI, X-ray), if appropriate
- Any forms you were asked to bring with you
- Notebook and a list of questions you may have for your providers
- Books, games, snacks, formula, diapers, change of clothes, as appropriate